509 1st Avenue South, Great Falls, MT 59401 | 406-761-5861


Mutual Self-Help

Photo: Rion Sanders - Great Falls Tribune

Owner-Built Homes

The Mutual Self-Help Program is a partnership with NeighborWorks and USDA Rural Development. Qualified buyers earn instant equity costs by working with a group of other families to help build their own homes. Their labor is called “sweat equity” and it can make homes affordable. 
Hard work is the key to this project, along with a desire to work together to build our community and new homes. The group commits to building their own homes, and embarks on a guided development that turns the dream into reality.

“NeighborWorks has given me so many keys to homeowner success. From credit tips, budget skills, first-time homebuyers education, goal setting, teamwork, dedication, the list can go on and on.” ~ Mutual Self-Help Builder/Owner

FAQs - 
Read the list of frequently asked questions (FAQs) and answers about this program.

Do you want to . . .

  • Help build your own home?
  • Get out of the renter trap?
  • Have an affordable house payment?
  • Purchase a home with no down payment?
  • Acquire the knowledge and skills to become a successful
       and responsible homeowner?

Do you have . . .

  • Acceptable credit?
  • 2 years proof of dependable income?
  • Ability to commit to 30 hours per week for 12 months?
       (You and your volunteers combined)?

Do you fall within these income guidelines?

    Income Guidelines as of April 2016     

Family Size
Maximum Income
 1 $34,450 
2 $39,350
3 $44,300
4 $49,200
5 $53,150
6 $57,050
7 $61,000
8 $64,950


Contact Us

If you are interested in participating in this program and feel you may qualify,or if you are interested in volunteering to help the families with their builds, please contact Brenda, Mutual Self-Help Coordinator at 406-216-3519 or send her an email.
In accordance with Federal law and the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs). To file a complaint of discrimination, write to: USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, Room 326-W, Whitten Building, 14th and Independence Avenue, SW., Washington DC 20250-9410 or call 202-720-5964 (Voice and TDD). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.